You or someone you know has probably created a web site all by himself or herself, most likely to save money.
So if they can do it why use a professional at all?
Most non-professionals use consumer-based web page software. While this kind of software is nice in that it’s similar to working with a word processing program, many of these programs don’t write valid HTML code. The problem with invalid code is that while the page may look fine on some browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, etc.), it may not look even acceptably good on some other browsers or even on different versions of the same browser. For most of us, time is the most precious commodity we have. Is it better to take the time away from your business and other activities to learn how to create and maintain an effective web site? You need to decide if you have the time to follow through on these critical parts of web site design:
- Learn HTML coding (it requires more than just wysiwyg web editing software)
- Learn how to use the various software packages needed to:
- Create and edit web pages
- Scan or otherwise create graphics
- Optimize graphics
- Upload pages to the host
- Decipher raw log files to analyze traffic to your web site
- Learn good web design principles
- Design pages so they load quickly, are easy to navigate and do well in search engines (SEO)
- Learn where to go and how to obtain a domain name
- Learn what to do with the web pages once they are created
- Obtain several types of browser software to test your web pages for compatibility
Saving money is the main reason most would consider designing their own web site. But by designing their own, are you really saving? It takes a substantial monetary investment and a considerable amount of time to purchase the necessary software and to learn how to use it all effectively. Many business owners don’t have that kind of time to spare and are usually better off investing their time in what they know best – running their business. When you hire a professional web designer, you receive the benefits of their business experience, artistic talent, technology skills and the expertise to help you establish an effective, highly visible presence on the Internet. They will work with you to analyze your competitions’ web presence – their strengths and weaknesses. Using that research they will construct your web site based on your business strengths and the weaknesses of your competition. Your web pages will be built to load quickly, be user friendly, appeal to your target audience and encourage repeat visits.